Thursday, March 10, 2011

satisfying the sweet tooth

I made these rainbow cupcakes the other night for a St. Patrick's Day themed playdate. I figured there'd be enough green, shamrocks, etc. so we went with rainbows. I used gold colored cupcake liners and placed half a chocolate coin in each of the white "clouds" on top of the rainbow cupcakes. I love how these turned out. I have no idea how they taste since they are made with eggs and milk (and I don't eat either), but everyone seemed to like them.
I struggle with a sweet tooth. I eat healthy and fill up on lots of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, but I crave sugar. I really, really do. Certain times of the month are worse, but I feel a little craving for it all the time. I've cut back but still allow myself little bits of sweets here and there. Oddly enough, when I make something like these cupcakes for my kids and their friends, I don't have a desire to eat them.
When I made these cupcakes, I made myself a sticky and sweet something to eat. The recipe was called Raw Fudge but something went awry because it isn't like any fudge I've ever had. Still, it's a great combination of raw walnuts, dates, unsweetened cocoa powder, chocolate chips and salt. And the best part is that no one else in the family likes my "raw fudge" sticky stuff so I keep it in the freezer and eat little bits whenever I have a desire for something sweet. And the rest of the family? They get rainbow cupcakes.
Note: To make these fun rainbow cupcakes (or any sort of layered cake), simply divide up the batter, add food coloring to each of the bowls and start layering.

1 comment:

  1. I am having a St Patrick's Day Party at my house on Thursday so I might just have to try these!

    THanks!

    ReplyDelete