Thursday, January 27, 2011

Introduction-Kelly M

I am first and foremost a mother. I know the things I pass onto my children will be carried with them and then passed on to their children. This responsibility causes me to really think about the choices I make and what I am teaching them. I want to be around for a long, long time! I struggled with my weight since I was a kid and luckily was taught to love exercise and being active. When I was pregnant with my first child when I was 23, I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. This was a huge eye opener for me, as I had watched my grandmother pass away from Diabetes complications when I was 18 and now I knew that I was susceptible to the same disease. I learned that it was up to me to control my eating and the importance of exercise!
In the 9 years since that diagnosis, I have found my love of running! I have become a running coach and a personal trainer to help pass on some of my passion and knowledge I have gained to others. I also teach an 8 Weeks to Wellness class at the local YMCA.
After reading a couple of Michael Pollan's books, I was reminded of the simplicity of nutrition. It is all about eating food in its natural form as much as possible. This is harder than it seems because of the convenience of all the "junk" food and the business of our lives. I have been determined to beat the system and learn how to eat more healthfully. I recently moved onto 5 acres, and one of the reasons for the change was to be able to have my own garden! That will be an experiment in itself as I learn to garden. I hope to get advice from others and I will share the things I learn! Please join me in these experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment